Friday, July 16, 2010

Pictures of some First test models



Here are a couple of my first test models.  I've spent severals weeks working on different yellow recipes and how to get the tone I was looking for. Trust me on this one: I think I have tried every acrylic yellow paint made - and more than a few enamels and spray's.  I even tracked down the yellow that Caterpillar heavy equipment used in the past and bought that.

To put it simply , yellow aint fun to work with.

Back to the topic at hand.  The recipe for these two models is similar, but different:

Marine on the left:
Primer: Testors Flat White
Basecoat: Vallejo Golden Yellow
Highlights: Vallejo Sunny Yellow

Marine on the right with the Fist shoulder pad:
Primer: Testors Flat White
Basecoat: Vallejo Sunny Yellow
Glaze: Vallejo Sunny Yellow

The marine on the right was an experiment to try to start with a bright yellow and glaze it down to a slighter deeper tone.

The marine on the left was a classic deep base coat that was brought up to to a brighter highlighted tone on the edges.

Needless to say these approaches were VERY time consuming. Working with yellow isn't something to be underestimated. The time commitment would be fine if I wasn't going the turn and chip up the marines, dirty down the color and basically thrash the underlying color that I worked so hard to create.

Back to the drawing board...

Stay tuned!





2 comments:

  1. I was just over at FTW, and my eye was immediately drawn to your Imperial Fists logo. Sounds like you and I are in a similar boat, as I just started an IF force too.

    Your tests look great, and I feel your pain about working with yellow. I finally found my recipe, but I haven't tried out the new GW offerings. I picked up a couple yesterday and am going to post some paint comparisons soon. I gravitate toward a more golden hue than sunny, so I like your left one so far. Keep it up and good luck!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Yo, I just noticed the date of this post. Where's your Fists? You posting on Dakka or anything?

    ReplyDelete